[jdom-interest] SAXBuilder setFeature() and setProperty() exceptions

Elliotte Rusty Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Wed Apr 17 03:38:56 PDT 2002

At 4:32 PM -0700 4/16/02, Jason Hunter wrote:

>I'd like to hear what other people think.  I believe it provides a tiny
>bit of niceness to the API but at the expense of breaking lots of
>existing code (throwing exceptions where there used to be none).  While
>I know we're free to do that, I don't like breaking people's code unless
>we can show them a significant improvement in the API.  I'm not sure
>this is that significant.  I'd like to hear what others think.

I'm not sure how many people are really using these methods. The only
thing I've used them for myself is to turn on schema validation; but
if breakage is a big concern maybe a runtime exception might be more
appropriate here? Perhaps an IllegalArgumenntException or some
subclass of it?

|             http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/bible2/              |