[jdom-interest] Lightweight JDOM? (again)

Alex Rosen arosen at silverstream.com
Tue Feb 19 07:59:05 PST 2002

I don't think that JDOM is any more lightweight than DOM memory-wise, and it
may never be. It is more lightweight in the size and elegance of the API. To
me, that's what "lightweight" means in relation to JDOM.

> I've read that, with JDOM "an XML document can be seen as a whole, and any
> member of that document is available at any time." Does this mean that,
with
> DOM, any member of a document isn't available at any time? If so, can you
> clarify? To reach a deeply nested node in a DOM tree, you have to start at
> the top, and go through various descendent nodes. Do you not have to do
with
> with JDOM?

This was probably meant to compare JDOM to SAX, rather than DOM. In both DOM
and JDOM you have the entire tree in memory, but with SAX you get only a
stream of events.

Alex