[jdom-interest] Should I convert to/from org.jdom.Document

Alex Rosen arosen at silverstream.com
Mon Jan 21 09:10:06 PST 2002

Usually you want to deal with application-specific classes for the important
concepts in your system. If you're just reading and writing a few
preferences from an XML file, then directly manipulating the XML is probably
fine. For more important or more frequently used objects, I'd build a
front-end for the JDOM objects.

You can do this in 3 different ways:

1) Your objects convert to and from XML only when necessary (e.g. on save
and load)
2) Your objects point to JDOM objects, and store their data there.
3) Your objects *are* JDOM objects (subclasses), and store their data there.

I usually recommend avoiding option #3, it leads to more hassles than it's
worth. I don't usually like option #1, because you have to remember to keep
your own representation, and the conversion logic, in sync. I like option
#2, with code along these lines:

public class Car
{
	public String getManufacturer()
	{
		return m_xml.getAttributeValue("manufacturer");
	}

	public void setManufacturer(String s)
	{
		m_xml.setAttribute("manufacturer", s);