[jdom-interest] Re: Radical Suggestion

Elliotte Rusty Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Mon Jul 29 10:11:50 PDT 2002

At 1:05 PM -0400 7/29/02, David Kavanagh wrote:
>I'm processing a document that uses a private schema. I put together
>this dtd over 3 years ago and we've been building on it since. At
>the time, there weren't any standard schemas that would do what we
>wanted, and namespaces were a little immature. Since we don't mix
>any different types of XML, I can igore namespace.

OK, if I understand you correctly your documents do not use
namespaces. That's fine. There's no rule that says you have to, and
lots of good XML applications like TEI and XML-RPC don't use them.
JDOM fully supports your style of documents today.

However, this is very different from needing to match local names in
any namespace. I suspect that if your program encountered a document
in which an element with the same name had a non-null namespace URI,
that should signal an error. You need to match elements in no
namespace, not elements in any namespace.