[jdom-interest] printAdditionalNamespaces() in XMLOutputter

Jason Hunter jhunter at servlets.com
Sat Nov 16 02:36:39 PST 2002

> The easiest solution would be to make the routine
> XMLOutputter.printAdditionalNamespaces() protected rather than private.
> Then I can override the method in a subclass and still use most of the
> XMLOutputter methods as-is.
>
> Is there a better way to do this? Is it asking too much to have the
> method changed from private to protected?

The problem with exposing internal methods as protected is that it
really limits our ability to change how classes are implemented in the
future.  If it was there as protected in 1.0 then that method would have
to stick around forever with exactly the same semantics.  I think that's
more than we should promise, don't you?  We've done it in other places,
but I think it's a problem.