[jdom-interest] JDOM and the Web services pack/JAXP bundle

Christian Martinez cmartinez at ozengineering.com
Tue Sep 3 09:55:08 PDT 2002

---- Original message ----
>Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 13:38:53 -0700
>From: Jason Hunter <jhunter at servlets.com>
>Subject: Re: [jdom-interest] JDOM and the Web services
pack/JAXP bundle
>To: Christian Martinez <cmartinez at ozengineering.com>
>Cc: jdom-interest at jdom.org
>
>The recognized encoding is "UTF-8".  If you can, change the
document to
>use that encoding name and things will work.  If not, there are
>generally parser tweaks that tell the parser to recognize
Java encoding
>names in addition to XML encoding names, and that would allow
the parser
>to recognize UTF8 also.
>
>-jh-
>
>Christian Martinez wrote:
>>
>> I have an application which uses XML to communicate with
>> ArcIMS. If I run this applicaiton in the Tomcat 4.0.4
>> environment everything works great. If I try to run it in the
>> jwsp 1.0.1 environment I get...
>>
>> org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Invalid encoding name "UTF8"
>>
>> I think  caused by the java xml jars. My question is how do I
>> make them play nice with JDOM?.
>> To control your jdom-interest membership:

http://lists.denveronline.net/mailman/options/jdom-interest/youraddr@yourhost.com

Thanks, I know that the document being returned(over which I
have no control) is returning the wrong encoding string. I
ended up stripping the xml header and passing the rest to
jdom. What I was hoping for was an easy way to tell jdom to
just expect the encoding to be called UTF8. What interests me
is that at least one of the underlying parsers doesn't care
because the 4.0.4 tomcat light works(with jdk 1.4). I'm being
lazy, but I'd like to know the answer why without having to dig.

As a side note, would you happen to know which of the parser
implementations is the most forgiving