[jdom-interest] Re: Signing jdom.jar and xerces.jar

Bart Read bart.read at uk.lionbioscience.com
Tue Jul 8 09:14:39 PDT 2003

Aha!! Just got this working.  There were actually two problems:

(1)     I have been using a makefile.  It seems that when I invoke
jarsigner from the makefile it wasn't too happy with me using a relative
path name for jdom.jar.  I gave it a fully qualified path name, defined
in terms of an environment variable (so it's not tied down to just my
system) and it works fine.

(2)     xerces.jar is sealed.  So although the jarsigner utility was
reporting no problems signing the jar, web start didn't like it because
it thought the manifest wasn't signed - solution is to remove the
manifest file from the jar, and then run jarsigner which will sign the
jar and create a new manifest in it.

Thanks for the tip about JDOM not needing Xerces: I'm afraid I'm still
used to Java not coming with XML support as standard so I added it out
of habit.  Renders (2) rather pointless, but it's worth knowing for
other situations where sealed JAR files are being used.

Many thanks,

Bart