[jdom-interest] new element methods?

John L. Webber - Jentro AG John.Webber at jentro.com
Thu Jul 17 04:52:09 PDT 2003

I agree with keeping the API simple. Every time I have to delve into
java.awt.Component or javax.swing.JComponent I curse the complexity of
the API: the many methods with cryptic names
(setVerifyInputWhenFocusTarget?), many methods with similar names, the
many overloaded methods (5 different add methods in Container).  Perhaps
this was unavoidable in AWT or Swing, but it doesn't need to happen to JDOM!

John

Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:

> In my opinion, JDOM has too many such methods already. However, the
> fact is every method you add makes the problem worse. Again, in
> isolation there's no problem with any of the methods you propose.
> Considered with he effect on the rest of the API though, it's a
> rapidly growing disaster. Everyone has their own favorite convenience
> methods. We simply can't provide or support them all, and if we tried,
> it would just make JDOM way too bulky and unwieldy to learn and use.

 Jentro AG
 John L. Webber, Software Development
 Peter-Henlein-Strasse 28, 85540 Haar/Munich, Germany
 Tel. +49 89 462 385 0     mailto:John.Webber at jentro.com
 Fax  +49 89 462 385 29    http://www.jentro.com