[jdom-interest] new element methods?

Fabrizio Di Giuseppe fabricius at ianus.net
Fri Jul 18 03:33:43 PDT 2003

On Thursday, July 17, 2003, at 1:17 PM, Eric VERGNAUD wrote:

> Maybe there could be a BasicElement, with a strict API, and a
> RichElement
> with a more convenient API ?

I think the best solution for you is to subclass. Everyone has his
requests about convenience methods. That requests are not the same for
everyone. In the utility library I use exists a jdom Element subclass
with up to 40 convenience methods. Most of that methods are generic
utility methods. But I do not think that every one here would agree
with the definition of that methods and the way they are implemented.
And this is only a minor problem. Are these all the convenience methods
that may be useful for everyone?

I know that subclass may be a problem in some cases, but that's the
only way to add methods to a class conveniently.

At the end... java has nothing like Objective C categories :(

Bye