SV: SV: SV: [jdom-interest] How do you do it in JDOM?

Elliotte Rusty Harold elharo at
Tue Feb 17 20:16:14 PST 2004

At 12:22 AM +0100 2/18/04, Per Norrman wrote:
>Xerces and Crimson reports the namespace URI for the xml prefix.

Xerces does this? Are you sure? Which version? Is this through the
SAX API or something else. I could swear I just tested this yesterday
in a different (still SAx context) and Xerces was not reporting it
while Crimson was.

>JDOM checks that the namespace URI really is the correct URI, and
>barfs if not. XOM (Elliotte's API*) just ignores the namspace URI
>for the xml prefix (at least that's the impression I get from code),
>so your stuff would probably work there.

I don't think XOM does that. If it does, it's a bug. XOM is very
careful about where and when the xml prefix is mapped. If you can
reproduce a case in which XOM ignores the namespace URI for the xml
prefix let me know so I can fix it. Or maybe you just meant XOM won't
add a namespace declaration for the xml prefix? That's true. However,
if you try to use the wrong URI or the wrong prefix, XOM should toss
an exception.

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo at
   Effective XML (Addison-Wesley, 2003)