SV: [jdom-interest] Building documents from XML fragments

Per Norrman pernorrman at
Thu Jan 15 04:39:14 PST 2004

For each fragment, build a valid XML string (with namespace
declarations), parse it, detach the
single child of the root element and insert it in the target document.
Or did I miss anything?
-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
Från: jdom-interest-admin at [mailto:jdom-interest-admin at]
För Ed Maher
Skickat: den 15 januari 2004 11:49
Till: jdom-interest at
Ämne: [jdom-interest] Building documents from XML fragments

I am wondering what is the suggested way of building an XML document
from fragments of XML.
The xml is returned from a remote server in response to an XPath query -
in particular there is
a problem because the server does not return the namespace prefix
declarations in the fragment,
which means the document builder throws an exception
Exception - org.jdom.JDOMException: Error on line 1: The prefix "erm"
for element "erm:loco" is not bound.
I would like to take the XML string and incorporate or merge the
fragment into an XML document
in memory, and/or create a new one from it.
I have access to the XML namespace bindings, but I cannot see how I can
tell JDom about these
without creating a skeleton document - and then I cannot see how I can
'import' the remaining
fragment into the document.