[jdom-interest] Possible bug in SAXHandler when "namespaces"
feature is off
jhunter at servlets.com
Mon Jan 19 11:05:44 PST 2004
> Let me reiterated my point, which is that even though all modern SAX parsers
> SUPPORT namespaces, that support can be DISABLED for whatever reason, and
> JDOM should be smart enough to either deal with it or explicitly report that
> it cannot deal with it. Instead, it throws an obscure exception in the
> middle of the construction of the tree.
From the SAXBuilder.setFeature() Javadocs:
* This sets a feature on the SAX parser. See the SAX documentation for
* NOTE: SAXBuilder requires that some particular features of the SAX
* set up in certain ways for it to work properly. The list of such
* may change in the future. Therefore, the use of this method may cause
* parsing to break, and even if it doesn't break anything today it might
* break parsing in a future JDOM version, because what JDOM parsers
* may change over time. Use with caution.
As this explains, you use setFeature() at your own risk. It's a power
tool back door with warning signs on the handle. If you're turning off
namespace support, that's going to break things as the warning says. I
think we once tried to protect the underlying parser from bad feature
changes, but it didn't work very reliably. Too many custom parser tweak
options I think it was.
> By the way, I have another question: is there a bug reporting database for
> JDOM? I could not find a link on the Jdom.org website.
You can report bugs to this mailing list. The TODO file tracks the main
More information about the jdom-interest