[jdom-interest] Possible bug in SAXHandler when "namespaces" feature is off

Elliotte Rusty Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Mon Jan 19 08:41:09 PST 2004

At 10:38 AM -0500 1/19/04, Dmitri Plotnikov wrote:

>>  Because JDOM hits a nice 80/20 point rather than the confusing mess
>>  of trying to do everything you find in DOM.
>Still, if a one-line change makes it 85/15, why not make that change? I am
>not sure it just that one line though.  I bet that's your concern - but have
>you actually tried?

This would be far from a one-line change. There's a lot of code
scattered throughout JDOM that assumes the document is namespace
well-formed.

>>  What is SAXDriver? I have not heard of this class, and I don't think
>>  it's anything JDOM uses.
>What the JDOM source code calls SAX driver, others call SAX parser. Perhaps
>you overlooked that term in the source file org.jdom.input.SAXBuilder.

OK, you meant an XMLReader. Got it now.

>Let me reiterated my point, which is that even though all modern SAX parsers
>SUPPORT namespaces, that support can be DISABLED for whatever reason, and
>JDOM should be smart enough to either deal with it or explicitly report that
>it cannot deal with it.  Instead, it throws an obscure exception in the
>middle of the construction of the tree.

Perhaps the exception message could be cleaned up a little. Do you
have a patch?

>By the way, I have another question: is there a bug reporting database for
>JDOM? I could not find a link on the Jdom.org website.

No, there isn't.
--

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo at metalab.unc.edu