[jdom-interest] Xinclude

Elliotte Rusty Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Thu Mar 4 08:38:18 PST 2004

At 5:57 PM +0200 3/4/04, Emmanuel van der Meulen wrote:
>Hello all,
>I have a request/suggestion regarding Xinclude.
>Just now for the first time I came across a requirement to have XML
>'fragment' file which I'd like to include in a 'main' XML file.  I see this
>is being catered for via Xinclude and the implementation is done outside of

I know of no such facility in XInclude. I expect you're
misinterpreting something else. There is no notion of a "fragment" in
XML, only complete documents and pieces thereof. However, pieces
cannot be parsed separately from the document that contains them.

>I found this very strange and suspect that it is possibly an oversight or
>that an excellent reason exists, why JDOM does not cater for this feature

Because no such thing is defined in XML.

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo at metalab.unc.edu
   Effective XML (Addison-Wesley, 2003)