[jdom-interest] Java 5.0 JDOM Plans?

Jason Hunter jhunter at xquery.com
Sun Aug 28 23:01:50 PDT 2005

Hi Tim,

We've talked about it on the list before.  While I like many of the Java
5 features and think they could help JDOM with some rough edges (esp
covariant return types) I've held off making an official JDOM built for
Java 5 because neither of the two approaches is great:

1) Move all later JDOM releases to Java 5.  This eliminates people's
ability to use JDOM on JDK 1.4 and earlier.

2) Ship two versions of JDOM.  This causes confusion and potential
runtime conflicts if both versions use the same org.jdom package.

People have emailed the list and me personally with Java 5 tweaked
versions.  The technical changes are pretty straightforward.  But is
either approach above better than having a unified JDK 1.2+ JDOM library?

-jh-