[jdom-interest] Document converting < and > characters into &lt; and &gt;

Heise, Robert Robert.Heise at Peopleclick.com
Mon Oct 16 14:29:05 PDT 2006

Im wondering if anybody can assist or  has run into this issue before:

I have an external source which is returning xml.  When I obtain that
xml via BufferedReader the xml looks like this:

<RIBCL><RESPONSE    STATUS="0x0000"    MESSAGE='No error'     /></RIBCL>

However when I create a new JDOM Document and add content like this:

Element root = new Element("responses");

And then output the Document via:

Document doc = new Document(root);
        doc.setDocType(new DocType("base64"));
        Format format = Format.getPrettyFormat();
        XMLOutputter serializer = new XMLOutputter(format);
        String xml = serializer.outputString(doc);

Where there appears to be a valide "<" or ">" tag it is replacing with
&lt; &gt;

How do I get make sure the string content with < and > tags are not
replaced with &gt and &lt symbols?

Thanks in advance