[jdom-interest] Java 1.5 language features.

Talden talden at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 12:50:22 PST 2007

On 2/27/07, Elliotte Harold <elharo at metalab.unc.edu> wrote:
> No, it isn't such an argument. JDOM is fully compatible with Java 5 and
> 6. There's no reason it should keep anyone from migrating just because
> it hasn't migrated.

'fully' compatible is debatable with several hundred 'unchecked'
warnings as a result of using the API.  You're right however, we
absolutely haven't held back from the migration process because of
JDOM.

Now that the the areas in which we use JDOM are beginning to get a
little more attention the question is being asked - is JDOM going to
advance and if not should we keep using it given the compromises to
our code-standards.

The code-qualities issues arising from the excessive warnings (or the
risks of suppressing them) are real issues - they are just not about
functionality.  In fact in many ways they're about usability and that
was the real point of JDOM from the beginning right?

Is there work going on now (not yet released) that would make
introducing a 2.0 (Java 5 + required) and maintaining the old 1.0
(Java 1.4) a difficult endeavor?  Is there an issue with officially
marking the 1.4 support as 'maintenance only'?

--
Talden