[jdom-interest] Kana symbols and UTF-8? (was Re: Kana characters?)

Grzegorz Kaczor grzegorz.kaczor at gmail.com
Tue May 22 13:52:29 PDT 2007

Hi Jem,
> I believe it's legal (but somebody might shoot me down on this) for the> prolog to have an encoding of 'us-ascii' (ie single byte characters) and> then to use the XML character escapes (&#xnnnn) to represent the extended> character set.
Yes, it is legal. These are two separate worlds, the encodingspecified in the XML declaration and the information contained incharacter references. According to the XML specification, characterreferences can point to any reasonable Unicode character:
Char	   ::=   	#x9 | #xA | #xD | [#x20-#xD7FF] | [#xE000-#xFFFD] |[#x10000-#x10FFFF]	/* any Unicode character, excluding the surrogateblocks, FFFE, and FFFF. */
Regards,Grzegorz

-- "Choć tyle wiemy własnym doświadczeniem:W nas jest Raj, Piekło - i do obu - szlaki."J.K.