[jdom-interest] Preparing next release

Rolf Lear jdom at tuis.net
Mon May 28 04:47:18 PDT 2012

Hi All.

I am getting ready to push out version 2.0.2 of the JDOM 2.x stream.

Currently in this release is the fix for issue #81 (resetting live
FitlerLists after a remove()).

This is the only known bug in JDOM 2.x and a 'hotfix' has been available
for a few weeks. It is time to push out the official release.

Additionally, there are issues/concerns regarding the maven artifiacts.
The core issue is that currently it is not possible to 'require' both JDOM
1.x and 2.x in your maven project. There appears to be only one solution to
this issue and that is to have different 'artifacts' for JDOM 1 and JDOM 2.
Obviously (in hindsight) it should have been done this way originally, but
there was simply not enough 'expert' feedback/input/assistance when the
decisions were being made, and this mistake is now something that just has
to be lived with.

As a result, it appears necessary to deploy JDOM 2.0.2 to the maven
artifact 'jdom2' (previous versions were deployed to 'jdom').

While this change will make it possible to include both JDOM 1.x and 2.x
in your maven projects it will also introduce a number of irritating
side-effects:

For 'regular' users, note:
1. previous versions of JDOM 2.x were called jdom-2.0.0.jar and
jdom-2.0.1.jar. This new version will be called jdom2-2.0.2.jar, and the
'zip' file will be called jdom2-2.0.2.zip

For maven users, note:

1. if you have already incorporated JDOM 2.x in your project you should
update your dependency to be for artifact jdom2, not jdom
2. ensure any maven project you require that also depends on JDOM aware of
this problem... because, if that required project 'upgrades' to the jdom
artifact version 2.0.1 (instead of jdom2) then you will get two different
versions of jdom 2.x in your classpath, and there is no telling what will
result.....

So, it is quite possible that by 'solving' the issue relating to requiring
both JDOM 1.x and 2.x, that we will instead be introducing even worse
problems, but I have been assured that this is the 'only' way to move
forward from here.

If anyone has comments, concerns, suggestions, I am all ears.

Rolf