[jdom-interest] NoSuchMethodError while running samples

Amy Lewis amyzing at talsever.com
Tue Feb 27 20:50:23 PST 2001

On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 04:35:18PM -0500, Nick Fankhauser wrote:

>This one got me thinking... I'm not the first occupant of this machine, and
>it might have had a previous version installed, so I did a "find" on jdom*,
>and found this:
>
>/usr/share/java/jdom-b4.jar
>
>...which I have now deleted.
>
>Now when I recompile using this command:
>
>javac -classpath
>.::/home/nickf/XML/jdom-b6/lib/xerces.jar:/home/nickf/XML/jdom-b6/build/jdom
>.jar:/usr/share/java/postgresql.jar:  Exporter.java
>
>I get this error:
>
>Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/jdom/Element

You've got a Debian Linux installation, right?

If so, you'll need to check /etc/alternatives, and probably read the
Debian java policy.  The installed java (and usually the compiler) is a
shell script which sets up a classpath; you may have to tweak it (or
untweak someone else's tweaks).  Debian (if it is Debian) ships with a
1.1 JDK, for instance, and unless you pick up the appropriate upgrade
.debs, things will be hairy.

Amy!
--
Amelia A. Lewis          alicorn at mindspring.com          amyzing at talsever.com
And now someone's on the telephone, desperate in his pain; someone's on the