[jdom-interest] NoSuchMethodError while running samples

Amy Lewis amyzing at talsever.com
Tue Feb 27 20:50:23 PST 2001

On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 04:35:18PM -0500, Nick Fankhauser wrote:
>This one got me thinking... I'm not the first occupant of this machine, and
>it might have had a previous version installed, so I did a "find" on jdom*,
>and found this:
>...which I have now deleted.
>Now when I recompile using this command:
>javac -classpath
>.jar:/usr/share/java/postgresql.jar:  Exporter.java
>I get this error:
>Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/jdom/Element

You've got a Debian Linux installation, right?

If so, you'll need to check /etc/alternatives, and probably read the
Debian java policy.  The installed java (and usually the compiler) is a
shell script which sets up a classpath; you may have to tweak it (or
untweak someone else's tweaks).  Debian (if it is Debian) ships with a
1.1 JDK, for instance, and unless you pick up the appropriate upgrade
.debs, things will be hairy.

Amelia A. Lewis          alicorn at mindspring.com          amyzing at talsever.com
And now someone's on the telephone, desperate in his pain; someone's on the
bathroom floor, doing her cocaine; someone's got his finger on the button in
some room--no one can convince me we aren't gluttons for our doom.
		-- Indigo Girls