[jdom-interest] First pass at Namespace revision[eg]

philip.nelson at omniresources.com philip.nelson at omniresources.com
Fri Mar 30 10:18:19 PST 2001

> I would really like to understand this. The sentence from the
> xml spec
> applies to attributes declared as #FIXED in a dtd and is used
> for providing
> default attribute values (if I read that correctly). In which
> way is that a
> requirement for a default namespace that JDOM fulfills ?

I arrived at this interpretation because the XML Namespaces spec refers to
this portion of the XML spec as it discusses the default namespaces.

In Namespaces in XML, section 2
"These attributes, like any other XML attributes, may be provided directly
or by default. "

default is a hyperlink to the section on attribute defaults.  My
interpretation is that a default namespace behaves like a default value that
"is neither #REQUIRED nor #IMPLIED".  The statement about the processor
supplying the default value if the attribute does not exist doesn't apply to
just #FIXED defaults as I read it.

[Definition: If the declaration is neither #REQUIRED nor #IMPLIED, then the
AttValue value contains the declared default value; the #FIXED keyword
states that the attribute must always have the default value. If a default
value is declared, when an XML processor encounters an omitted attribute, it
is to behave as though the attribute were present with the declared default
value.]

Of course the fact that Elliote already has based his design on the notion
that a namespace is an intrinsic part of the element may have had some
bearing as well.