[jdom-interest] First pass at Namespace revision[eg]

philip.nelson at omniresources.com philip.nelson at omniresources.com
Fri Mar 30 10:18:19 PST 2001

> I would really like to understand this. The sentence from the
> xml spec
> applies to attributes declared as #FIXED in a dtd and is used
> for providing
> default attribute values (if I read that correctly). In which
> way is that a
> requirement for a default namespace that JDOM fulfills ?

I arrived at this interpretation because the XML Namespaces spec refers to
this portion of the XML spec as it discusses the default namespaces.

In Namespaces in XML, section 2
"These attributes, like any other XML attributes, may be provided directly
or by default. "

default is a hyperlink to the section on attribute defaults.  My
interpretation is that a default namespace behaves like a default value that
"is neither #REQUIRED nor #IMPLIED".  The statement about the processor
supplying the default value if the attribute does not exist doesn't apply to
just #FIXED defaults as I read it.

[Definition: If the declaration is neither #REQUIRED nor #IMPLIED, then the
AttValue value contains the declared default value; the #FIXED keyword
states that the attribute must always have the default value. If a default
value is declared, when an XML processor encounters an omitted attribute, it
is to behave as though the attribute were present with the declared default

Of course the fact that Elliote already has based his design on the notion
that a namespace is an intrinsic part of the element may have had some
bearing as well.